Preview our new homepage!

University Libraries & Archives Reserves FAQ

What is the procedure for putting something on reserve?

Bring the material you want placed on reserve to the library, along with a completed and signed copy of the reserves form (PDF). If the material is going on electronic reserve, materials can be submitted electronically or you can bring a photocopy of the material to the circulation desks at each library.

What is the turnaround time for electronic and paper reserves?

For print & media reserves, it usually takes 72 hours from the time the material is dropped off at the Circulation Desk for the item to show up in Bobcat. Electronic Reserves may take longer due to rights clearance issues, particularly for video. Processing time can also take longer during peak times, such as the beginning of semesters.

What else do I need to be aware of when submitting photocopies for scanning?

  • Photocopies should be clean and of the highest possible quality, preferably single-sided without dark edges.
  • When scanning or photocopying book chapters, please include title and copyright pages as part of the PDF or photocopy.
  • Paper should be standard letter size. The scanner sheet feeder cannot handle anything that is not eight-and-a-half-by-eleven.

Are there any restrictions on what can be placed on reserve?

New School Libraries & Archives operates the reserve systems in order for instructors to get copies of assigned and recommended readings to students in their classes. The system is not to be used for any other purpose.

Materials not accepted for reserves include:

  • Any material that students are expected to purchase, such as coursepacks or workbooks
  • Entire books or journal issues will never be placed on E-reserve, although they may go on print & media reserves

Why do I still have to bring in a photocopy for electronic reserves? Can't you just scan from the original?

Sometimes we have the material you wish to use in class and sometimes we don't. Reserves processing is meant to be used whenever rush ordering is needed by faculty to make materials available to their class.

If copyright clearaance service is needed for materials or if you have the book yourself, you can electronically submit your syllabi and readings using the online form.

Scans of articles or book chapters should be done at 300ppi per page as greyscale PDFs whenever possible. If color is needed, please scan using the RGB color mode at 300dpi. Scans may be of varying quality, so a photoccopy on hand can be helpful in the event book chapters or articles have to be rescanned.

What if I teach the same course again? Do I have to resubmit everything that was scanned?

Not always. The library does archive old courses and documents, so if your course was taught within the last three years, your old course page may still exist, along with all the documents you used. To have it reactivated or changed, make sure you submit your request electronically and designate the course as a renewal.